The care and training of a young gymnast

I wish I had started this blog a while back. At that time I had no clue my youngest daughter would have the drive to be a gymnast. I just knew I couldn't contain her energy and needed an outlet for it's release. Hopefully this blog will be helpful to others that have a kid interested in gymnastics.

As I am a single disabled parent, money's been tight and this sport is not cheap. The commitment of financial resources, time and energy for the parent can be as demanding as the physical demands placed on the athelete.

This blog is created for all the unsung heroes behind that future medalist, the parent.



Sunday, August 7, 2016

Sophomore Season soon to start - August 2016

Well, Emily decided to compete CARA (Colorado Association of Recreational Athletics) this summer to keep in shape for High School Gymnastics this Fall

Still plagued with knee issues, she's actually having fun with the sport.  After having to suffer with the stress of USAG competitions, finally this girl is enjoying herself.  These kids put so much on themselves.  I never wanted her to be super competitive, but it is part of her DNA.  Her dad from what I experienced, was always super competitive.

So, as I believe that putting a kid in some kind of activity is important,  it's important to find the best fit for that child.  My eldest daughter Anne had two left feet.  We tried softball, we tried ice skating, we tried dance.  No sport worked well for her.  She was always a bookworm, but I had to figure a way of getting her out in the world to experience new things.  So she learned how to act and model. To this day Anne still does community theater every chance she gets.  My middle child Kathleen was a soccer kid.  Kathleen was not flexible enough to do gymnastics but still a very active child.  You really need to allow your child to find their own interests,  believe me you can't make them do a sport just because you want them to.  My daughter Anne played the violin in Middle School, my daughter Kathleen played the Viola throughout High School.  Emily has been playing the Cello since third grade, but this year she intends to try her hand at theater and play the Cello in her second semester.




Emily still enjoys Gymnastics and bonding with her team mates.  She may never compete Gymnastics at the Olympics, but hopefully we'll get to the 2020 Olympics as spectators to cheer on Team USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment