The care and training of a young gymnast

I wish I had started this blog a while back. At that time I had no clue my youngest daughter would have the drive to be a gymnast. I just knew I couldn't contain her energy and needed an outlet for it's release. Hopefully this blog will be helpful to others that have a kid interested in gymnastics.

As I am a single disabled parent, money's been tight and this sport is not cheap. The commitment of financial resources, time and energy for the parent can be as demanding as the physical demands placed on the athelete.

This blog is created for all the unsung heroes behind that future medalist, the parent.



Wednesday, November 4, 2015

9th Grade Junior Varsity in High School

Of course Emily couldn't wait to get back into the Gym after 3 years out.  The season is now over, but she did podium at least once - for Beam.

She feels her high school team mates do not include her as a team member and frankly I have to agree from what I've seen.

The Coach knows that Emily's strong suit is tumbling and beam yet for the entire season she competed for the most part on bars.  She performed one floor routine several times on the beam.  She actually made the podium in one meet.

Emily's skills are for the most part gone at this point, she still has her dance moves, but lost her kip, has it back, lost her twist, still working on that one and she finally got her split back... but she loves gymnastics and will continue to improve her skills at her home club for next season.  We'll see how it goes.  What's more important to me is that she does well academically and it seems that gymnastics keeps her on track in that department.

Emily is still playing the Cello, she is second chair.  Tonight at her high school the freshmen performed together for the first time ever.  I am attaching a video of their final piece which is American Landscape by Soon Hee Newbold.  In this final piece of this concert, he moved all of the instruments around so that the students would get a different perspective of the music.  In this piece Emily is in the back row,
AWHS Freshman String Orchestra

No comments:

Post a Comment