The care and training of a young gymnast

I wish I had started this blog a while back. At that time I had no clue my youngest daughter would have the drive to be a gymnast. I just knew I couldn't contain her energy and needed an outlet for it's release. Hopefully this blog will be helpful to others that have a kid interested in gymnastics.

As I am a single disabled parent, money's been tight and this sport is not cheap. The commitment of financial resources, time and energy for the parent can be as demanding as the physical demands placed on the athelete.

This blog is created for all the unsung heroes behind that future medalist, the parent.



Saturday, March 23, 2013

Emily has thrown in the towel on Gymnastics.

After a very long and painful battle with Osgood-Schlatter's Disease, approximately 8 months total on crutches, Emily has decided to end her gymnastics career and save what's left of her knees. This decision was not made lightly, and with much pain and tears.  Emily loves gymnastics, but sadly her body is growing too fast for her to keep going in the sport. It's a shame really, being in the gym is such a good thing for girls.

Now she'd like to pursue swimming!  So down to Sports Authority I go, credit card in hand.  New Speedo swimsuit, new goggles, gym bag.  She started out at the local swim club, only to have the building condemned within the first week of her training.  Sheesh! Back to the drawing board.

Everyone is suggesting diving for her, since she has a background in Gymnastics, but that's not what Emily wants to do.  She wants to swim laps.  Ok!  I am with her on this one.  I still picture Greg Louganis hitting his head on the springboard during competition.  OMG that was a parent's worst nightmare!  It's a wonder it didn't knock him out completely. No, I can't imagine Emily diving.  It was hard enough for me to watch her tumbling in Gymnastics. Coming back from a brain injury is no fun at all , this one I have first-hand experience with.

 So far we've not been able to get her involved in swimming, but I am still looking for a good fit. Maybe I can get her into dance if it's not too stressful on her knees.. we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment